Thursday, May 3, 2007

Republican Presidential Debate: Reagan Count

So the final tally: The phrase "Ronald Reagan" was spoken by the Republican candidates a surprisingly low 17 times. The word "Reagan" was uttered during the entire debate a total of 29, but that included "Mrs. Reagan", "Reagan Library" and any time it was spoken by Chris Matthews.

I have to admit, I'm surprised at the low Reagan turnout. Although euphemisms are not included in the final number, and there were a few of those.

Rudy Giuliani preferred to hear a different phrase:

"When you had this debate last week and all the Democrats were up here, I never remember the words 'Islamic fundamentalist terrorism' being spoken by any of them."

You're right, Giuliani. Because unlike the Republicans - and really, unlike all the non-mayor candidates - they run on more than one platform, with things like "ideas" and "plans" for the American people. You, Mr. Mayor, have nothing. And this may come as a surprise, but trying to scare the crap out of people - sadly, not an actual plan for America. Good campaign strategy, it did work in 2004. But no, it's not a plan.

I look at the candidates and I think to myself:

"I wish I had a paper bag to throw up in."

No comments: