Monday, December 25, 2006

A Christmas Question, from a Jewish Blogger

I think I understand the purpose of Christmas lights. They are pretty and announce either "Look how much we like Christmas!" or "Jesus, hit it here!"

So here is my question: What is the point of half-assing Christmas lights? I'll walk by houses that have maybe one string of 10 lights, 2 of which have burnt out, bordering over one window. Why? What's the point? The lights aren't a religious symbol. The lights aren't in the New Testament. It's not in the constitution (yet, Bush still has two more years). So why? It's not attractive. It doesn't beautify the city or your house. Santa can still see your chimney. If you cannot afford the lights, which is an acceptable reason for not overdoing your house, why put any up? Again, it's not a commandment. The Vatican doesn't decorate its city with red and green. So why?

Also, I have a letter for Santa:

Dear Santa,
Since I do not celebrate Christmas, I have not written you before. But this year I have a request. This year, please do not give coal to all the bad boys and girls. When coal burns, it ruins the environment and makes holes in the Ozone layer. Instead, please give something that burns cleaner, like the sun or hydrogen or some alternative form of energy. Perhaps french fry waste? I heard the made a car that runs on it. Yes, this year, please give all the bad boys and girls french fry waste. And maybe throw in a shiny red rubber bouncy ball for Bush, he's had a hard time this year. And Santa, from now on, when you ride in your Coca Cola inspired suit and deliver gifts to all the Christian and atheist -but not really- children this year, please use your electric sleigh. Please, Santa, think of the penguins.
-Librocrat

1 comment:

Librocrat said...

Thanks. I mean, that had nothing to do with the post, but I appreciate your obviously pre-written, well worded school essay.

Good luck with your goals.